We are pleased to announce the latest release of SIMP Enterprise Edition, 6.5.1! This release builds on our previous release with updates to our compliance profiles as well as additional improvements to efficiency and performance. Please see below for the full list of updates.
We are pleased to announce the latest release of SIMP Enterprise Edition, 6.5!! This release comes with added, extensive CIS enforcement and reporting support for both Linux and Windows distributions. This CIS support comes with brand new enforcement certifications for the Linux distributions! In addition, this release comes with added efficiency and performance for both the SIMP Console and SIMP Scanner! Please see below for the full list of features!
Onyx Point is proud to announce the release of SIMP Console 1.3.0.
- Added scan triggering
- Improved upgrade stability
- Removed the requirement for system-installed Ruby
- Improved stability of backend features
- Increased the database integrity via Foreign Keys and Triggers
- Added ability to schedule scans
- Created secure communication between the Scanner and Console via login tokens
- Provided new content downloader to scan content for each supported platform (CIS/STIG)
- Added full CIS Scanning support (Note: CIS-CAT needs to be preinstalled and preconfigured)
- Added ability to save SIMP Scanner logs and XML reports
- Adapted SIMP Scanner to be run as a daemon to accept Scan-Now/Scheduled scans
Onyx Point, LLC. is pleased to announce that the final release for SIMP 6.4.0-0 is now available.
Community Edition ISOs can be downloaded from our download servers.
Enterprise customers can obtain the Enterprise Edition ISOs using the instructions.
(IBM - Boulder, CO) “We chose SIMP Enterprise Edition (EE) to provide multi-tenant
compliance enforcement for our federal customers. As an existing
Puppet Enterprise (PE) environment, deploying SIMP was an easy
decision. Our teams found added value in our project through an
extended on-site engagement with Puppet Partner, Onyx Point, LLC.
Not only did SIMP EE provide an important solution, but the Partner
was also able to upgrade our PE environment and integrate CloudBolt.
The added expertise and ease of support throughout this project is
what makes us continue to invest in SIMP within our infrastructure.”
KRISTOPHER A. FRANKLIN
Technical Delivery Manager - Infrastructure Automation
Managed Services & Cloud Solutions
SIMP Console 1.0 Available
Today marks a benchmark for SIMP products as we are excited to announce the availability of SIMP Console 1.0.0.!
The SIMP Console provides insight into your system’s continuous compliance posture and integrates data from the SIMP Compliance Engine to visualize the state of your Puppet-applied module parameters.
Out of the box, SIMP Console includes:
- Support for ingesting XCCDF(SCAP) results from a number of scanning engines
- Integration with SIMP Compliance Engine (SCE) to provide puppet oriented context information
- Reports generated in XLS, HTML, and PDF format
- Notification system for forwarding results to Email and Slack
- A client side scanning utility that automates scanning and collection for console feed
- Integration with AD, LDAP, and Google Authentication
- Full Role Based Access Control (RBAC) and delegation of privileges by assigning users specific roles on a subset of nodes
- A fully featured plugin system to access/create notification services, scan types, custom reports, and authentication backends
SIMP Console Beta 0.20.0 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.20.0. This version of the SIMP Console marks the first release containing report generation capabilities. This initial subsystem only supports scap_result reporting in HTML, PDF, and XLSX, but has the capability to be extended to other reporting formats in subsequent releases, and even is part of our plugin API so customers can write their own report generators.
SIMP Console Beta 0.19.2 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.19.2. This is primarily a bugfix and refactoring release as we work towards a more complete Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) solution.
SIMP Console Beta 0.18.0 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.18.0. This is primarily a bugfix and refactoring release as we work towards a more complete Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) solution.
A new version of SIMP (6.3.3) is now available. Late in the release process for 6.3.2, a user-lockout bug was discovered in the sssd module. Since we had already uploaded some assets to the download servers, we decided to forego the full release of 6.3.2 and start immediately on 6.3.3. Below you can find updated modules from both versions, as well as links to the changelogs and files.
SIMP Console Beta 0.17.0 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.17.0. This is primarily a bugfix and refactoring release as we work towards a more complete Role-based Access Control (RBAC) solution.
SIMP Console Beta 0.16.0 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.16.0. This is the first Beta-ready version of the SIMP Console, and has such contains early functional versions of the core workflow, such as:
- At-a-glance dashboard for failure/success on folders and subfolders.
- Hierarchical tree of folders, to group systems scans based on their placement within your organization
- Ingestion of SCAP scan results from OpenSCAP on Linux platforms using our simp-scanner utility.
- Mapping SCAP scan results into Puppet settings that can be copy-pasted directly into your Hiera data files.
- Cross referencing to NIST and STIG controls
- Local authentication, LDAP authentication, and Google Auth based authentication.
We will be announcing new beta versions roughly every 2 weeks, and will be detailing the specific changes in the release notes section of the email, as well as any specific features we’d like feedback on.
At this stage of the beta program, we are not guaranteeing database backwards compatibility. You may have to rm -rf /var/db/simp/simp-console.db if using sqlite, or drop database and create database if using postgres.
- Initial feedback on RBAC was that it didn’t match expectations for how RBAC should function, so it is currently disabled in this version of the SIMP Console. It will be enabled in a subsequent version after a redesign.
- The description of individual findings is difficult to read and understand. This is due to the data being sent from the scanning utilities, and we are working to replace it with prettier ‘markdown’-based text.
- Copy-to-clipboard does not copy the puppet parameters.
Feedback can be sent by clicking on the ‘Feedback’ link in the user dropdown.
SIMP Console Documentation
The latest revision of all SIMP Console documentation will be found here
Quick Installation Instructions
In order to install simp-console packages from the unstable repository, you need to have a valid SIMP EE or LE license key installed at /etc/simp/license.key
sudo yum install https://download.simp-project.com/simp/yum/simp-unstable-platform.rpm
sudo yum install simp-vendored-ruby
sudo yum install simp-console-0.16.0
sudo service simp-console start
Onyx Point, LLC. is delighted to announce that the final release for SIMP 6.3.0-0 is now available. Community Edition ISOs have been uploaded to our download servers. Enterprise customers can obtain the Enterprise Edition ISOs using the instructions here.
Onyx Point, LLC. is delighted to announce that the final release for SIMP 6.2.0-0 is now available. Community Edition ISOs have been uploaded to the download servers and Enterprise Edition ISOs are available via the customer support portal for current Enterprise customers.
Introducing SIMP Console
Current versions of SIMP Community Edition (CE) and SIMP Enterprise Edition (EE) ship with a full ELG stack that includes Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Grafana to provide a web dashboard to view the status of your environment. While this provided insights into what systems are doing, there were limitations. Elasticsearch and Logstash can require a lot of administration overhead in larger environments. Grafana is built to show graphs that change over time. While excellent for showing high level views of data over time, Grafana has issues with going into details when reporting large amounts of information on individual systems. Grafana has also prevented any reasonable way of command and control for users that wanted to be able to take actions on the data reported.
For new versions of SIMP Enterprise Edition, we are adding the SIMP Console, the new graphical user interface that integrates feature requests for SIMP that we received from our existing web dashboard users as well as new features our engineers have been excited to include.
With SIMP Console, the framework is more open to users and allows more command/control options while still being as flexible and extensible as possible. SimpEE customers will be able to customize the information users can see and what sources are being polled. The SIMP Console is designed for customers to integrate into their existing IT infrastructure and internal policies as much as possible
New details will be added to our website in the coming weeks. Follow us for information about our Beta availability (for existing SimpEE customers) and blog posts about some of the SIMP Console’s new features
On the heels of SIMP Console, we’d also like to announce a new edition of SIMP, SIMP Lite Edition (LE), or as we’ve come to call it, SimpLE.
SIMP Lite Edition combines SIMP Console with SIMP Compliance Engine. SimpLE will give users the opportunity to use SIMP Console to view and configure their fully customized install of SimpLE into their established environment without having to purchase the entire Enterprise Edition suite. Organizations can create custom profile content or add additional pre-configured compliance profile content.
SIMP Lite Edition offers a balance of features between the Open Source SIMP Community Edition (CE) and the commercial Enterprise Edition. It is a licensed, commercial edition of SIMP designed for users that need to implement a variety of customized compliance standards into their existing environments and software stacks.
Onyx Point, LLC. has developed SIMP Lite Edition to enable you to incorporate SIMP into your existing infrastructure, your way