SIMP Console 1.0 Available
Today marks a benchmark for SIMP products as we are excited to announce the availability of SIMP Console 1.0.0.!
The SIMP Console provides insight into your system’s continuous compliance posture and integrates data from the SIMP Compliance Engine to visualize the state of your Puppet-applied module parameters.
Out of the box, SIMP Console includes:
- Support for ingesting XCCDF(SCAP) results from a number of scanning engines
- Integration with SIMP Compliance Engine (SCE) to provide puppet oriented context information
- Reports generated in XLS, HTML, and PDF format
- Notification system for forwarding results to Email and Slack
- A client side scanning utility that automates scanning and collection for console feed
- Integration with AD, LDAP, and Google Authentication
- Full Role Based Access Control (RBAC) and delegation of privileges by assigning users specific roles on a subset of nodes
- A fully featured plugin system to access/create notification services, scan types, custom reports, and authentication backends
SIMP Console Beta 0.20.0 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.20.0. This version of the SIMP Console marks the first release containing report generation capabilities. This initial subsystem only supports scap_result reporting in HTML, PDF, and XLSX, but has the capability to be extended to other reporting formats in subsequent releases, and even is part of our plugin API so customers can write their own report generators.
SIMP Console Beta 0.19.2 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.19.2. This is primarily a bugfix and refactoring release as we work towards a more complete Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) solution.
SIMP Console Beta 0.18.0 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.18.0. This is primarily a bugfix and refactoring release as we work towards a more complete Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) solution.
SIMP Console Beta 0.17.0 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.17.0. This is primarily a bugfix and refactoring release as we work towards a more complete Role-based Access Control (RBAC) solution.
SIMP Console Beta 0.16.0 Available
We are proud to announce the availability of SIMP Console 0.16.0. This is the first Beta-ready version of the SIMP Console, and has such contains early functional versions of the core workflow, such as:
- At-a-glance dashboard for failure/success on folders and subfolders.
- Hierarchical tree of folders, to group systems scans based on their placement within your organization
- Ingestion of SCAP scan results from OpenSCAP on Linux platforms using our simp-scanner utility.
- Mapping SCAP scan results into Puppet settings that can be copy-pasted directly into your Hiera data files.
- Cross referencing to NIST and STIG controls
- Local authentication, LDAP authentication, and Google Auth based authentication.
We will be announcing new beta versions roughly every 2 weeks, and will be detailing the specific changes in the release notes section of the email, as well as any specific features we’d like feedback on.
At this stage of the beta program, we are not guaranteeing database backwards compatibility. You may have to rm -rf /var/db/simp/simp-console.db if using sqlite, or drop database and create database if using postgres.
- Initial feedback on RBAC was that it didn’t match expectations for how RBAC should function, so it is currently disabled in this version of the SIMP Console. It will be enabled in a subsequent version after a redesign.
- The description of individual findings is difficult to read and understand. This is due to the data being sent from the scanning utilities, and we are working to replace it with prettier ‘markdown’-based text.
- Copy-to-clipboard does not copy the puppet parameters.
Feedback can be sent by clicking on the ‘Feedback’ link in the user dropdown.
SIMP Console Documentation
The latest revision of all SIMP Console documentation will be found here
Quick Installation Instructions
In order to install simp-console packages from the unstable repository, you need to have a valid SIMP EE or LE license key installed at /etc/simp/license.key
sudo yum install https://download.simp-project.com/simp/yum/simp-unstable-platform.rpm
sudo yum install simp-vendored-ruby
sudo yum install simp-console-0.16.0
sudo service simp-console start